Our Dormobile

Our Dormobile
On the Mojave Road

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Overland Expo 2010, April 16-18, 2010


Getting off of I-19 on Friday afternoon, there was a stereo “Wow” from both Grace and I when we saw the Overland Expo. It was amazing there were tons of vehicles and people. We knew at this point that we were going to have a good weekend.

We found the Arizona Land Rover Owners (AZLRO) camping area. Several people were already there. We set up our Rover then headed over to the Expo.

There was a Snow Peak demonstration at 4 pm that I really wanted to see. Grace was whining about it taking too long. I was really interested in seeing their Japanese Dutch Ovens. I have been cooking with my Lodge Cast Iron for years and was wanting to see these in action. Much to my surprise, the Snow Peak guys were using an American cast iron pan on the Snow Peak stove. So, I assume if they were not using them, then they are not very good. But they did have the Snow Peak cooking table set up. The table set up is very nice! I would love to have one of them with all the accessories. It sure would make cooking a lot easier. Once the food was done, Grace was no longer complaining. I forced her to try my lamb chop. She immediately went and got one of her own. They also had grilled pineapple and bacon and goat cheese wrapped dates. We all enjoyed the demonstration. The funny thing was they did not have any products to sell on the spot. You had to order them and they would send them to you. They do not understand impulse purchases. I really wanted the small BBQ box.

Soon our friends with children arrived so we headed back to the camping area. I use the term camping area very loosely. It was just a dirt lot, and it was very, very dusty. Everything we own has a fine layer of dust on it. One cool thing was Chuck, our resident archeologist, quickly took the kids for a walk and found a metate. A metate is a stone that was used by Indians to grind corn into flour.

That night we were treated to Carne Asada cooked by Laura. Laura is an amazing cook. She was a cooking mama the whole weekend. Thanks Laura!! That night I decided to make a cobbler in my dutch oven. Usually this is one of the first things people experiment with in their dutch ovens. They are supposed to be simple and yummy. The reason I have never made on before is James does not like fruit. So, I didn’t want to make a big cobbler for just Grace and I. With all the people camping with us this time I decided to make a Peach/Cherry Cobbler. It was good, and everyone got a little. Jon Christianson donated a bottle of good Champagne to the cobbler which was a great way to finish the meal. The Expo had a happy hour at the bar. Those of us with children were unable to attend, and I discovered the reason the AZLRO does not camp next to a bar with a happy hour.

The next day we woke up to a sunny, hot day. The Expo had an “Experience” package that included driving type classes. The “Experience” cost around $500 for a couple. It was supposed to include day care for the kids, but the day care provider was a no show. We contemplated purchasing the “Experience”, but I was told that I could teach most of the classes, so we just got a day pass. I would have been SO upset if I had spent $500 and there was no childcare. One of our friends in the AZLRO had won the “Experience” in a raffle at the Arizona Land Rover Rally in March, and they have three kids. The rest of us volunteered to watch the kids so they could go to their classes.


Six adults took eight kids ranging from age 2 to 9 to the Expo. This was not the best decision we have ever made. It was around 90 degrees and the kids were melting. Soon we found “The Oasis” and it had a water hose. The kids doused themselves and were much refreshed.

James, Chuck and I spent the rest of the afternoon looking around the Expo. Everyone else headed back to the campsite. It is amazing how many different kinds of trailers, roof top tents, and awnings are available. It all started to run together. Fifteen years ago when James and I were first looking for an off-roading trailer, there were none. So, we ended up with a pop-up tent trailer. Now there are at least 10 companies that make them. We also saw the new Unimog. It was huge, and only cost $750,000. One vendor was selling South African “Potjie Pot”dutch ovens. They were a very interesting design, and they wanted a $100 for the small one. I am real interested to see how they cook, but not forthat price. Everything was pretty pricey, and when a group of Land Rover Owners sit around and complain how expensive things are, then you know it is pricey.

I have to talk about the campground. A novice would drive by and think it was full of pretty simple and cheap campers. But they would be mistaken. That dirt lot had more money sitting on it than most campgrounds filled with Class A Motorhomes. There were Unimogs, EarthRoamers, G-Wagons, Sportsmobiles, Hummers, Range Rovers and other expensive vehicles. In addition, there were at least a couple of dozen roof top tents and decked out trailers. I think most people spent as much time in the campground as they did in the Expo. If I had a dollar for every picture that was taken of our Dormobile, I would have at least $200. Lots of people came by and asked to check out our Dormobile and of course we were glad to show them. We met one couple from Canada who own a Dormobile and spent two months in Morocco in theirs. I said if they can handle two months together in that car then their marriage is sure to go the distance. By the way, they are thinking of selling their Dormobile. One thing we all found interesting was that there were more Land Rovers than any other car. I was expecting to see more Toyotas and Jeeps. After a discussion I learned that Jeeps are too small for Overlanding, but I did expect more Toyotas.

On Saturday night, we had another great dinner. Then Linda used her dutch oven for the first time. She made a dump apple cobbler, which was more like an apple crisp. It was very yummy. Great job, Linda!!!

Sunday morning we were woken up by a symphony of dog barks. This only reinforced our resolve not to get a dog. Many people were up and out of the camp early, and only the “Rover Divas” and their three families remained. We got some good Rover Diva shots and then we all parted ways until the next trip. Great weekend spent with great people!


2 comments:

  1. The Overland Expo will be in the same place next year, 1-3 April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    Thrilled that I found your wonderful blog post on OX10. May I use a couple of your camping area photos for a slideshow for Roseann Hanson, founder of OX? I'm cutting together a video for her Side Stand Up motorcycle radio show interview. Are you going this year? Would love to see you. I'll have a vendor's booth for my dual sport accessories business Rugged Rider.

    Thanks,
    Nicole Espinosa
    nicole@ruggedrider.com

    ReplyDelete